You are required to publish a fictitious business name statement IF:
- It is your first time filing.
- You have filed in the past but have made ANY changes to the information you had previously filed.
- You have allowed the previous statement to expire more than 40 days even if there are no changes.
- You are filing a Statement of Abandonment; OR
- You are filing a Withdrawal of Partnership.
If you are renewing a statement that you filed 5 years ago (which has not lapsed more than 40 days) and there are absolutely NO changes to the information filed previously, there is no need to follow the publication requirements stated below:
- Contact any of the listed legally adjudicated newspaper companies and choose to publish with ONE of them.
- Inform them that you have filed a Fictitious Business Name Statement and must satisfy the publication requirement.
- Provide them with a copy of the FBN filing.
- First publication MUST be published within 30 calendar days from the filing date. Be sure to contact newspaper companies early, as they may not publish immediately. If you pass the 30-day requirement, the statement automatically expires and you will be required to file a new FBN and pay all applicable fees. The law does NOT allow for any extensions!
- Publication must be once a week for four consecutive weeks.