A marriage license must be purchased by all persons to be married prior to having a ceremony performed (FC 359). Couples are not required to have both a religious ceremony and a civil ceremony. A license may not be issued if either party of the applicants lacks the capacity to enter into a valid marriage, or when either of the parties is under the influence of an intoxicating liquor or narcotic drug at the time of application.
- Fee is $50.00- Public; $55.00 Confidential
- Cash, Debit/Credit (add'l fee)
- Government issued photo ID is required.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
- Marriage licenses are issued from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
- The license is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance.
- The license may be used in any county within the State of California.
- If divorced within the last 6 months, copy of dissolution/decree will be required.
Please complete the below application and submit in-person to purchase your marriage license. Please note that both parties to the marriage must be present to purchase a marriage license.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Name Equality Act of 2007 (AB 102 Ch 567, Statues of 2007) All issued marriage licenses include the new middle and last names to be taken by either party after the marriage has occurred. It is the responsibility of the parties to be married to understand what changes may be made when applying for the marriage license. Please note that the new name fields may not be amended unless a clerical error has occurred; other corrections/amendments may require a court order.
Marriage Certificate Applications
Marriage certificates are available for purchase 2-3 weeks after the date of ceremony for a fee of $15.00. This will depend upon when the license is received by the officiant. Certified copies may purchased by completing the application below or visiting vitalchek.com.