Which Enterprise Systems Are Covered by SB 272
Governor Brown approved SB 272 in October 2015, adding section 6270.5 to the California Public Records Act (the "Act," Government Code Sections 6250-6276.48). Section 6270.5 defines an enterprise system as a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges, and analyzes information that the agency uses that is (1) a multi-departmental system or system that contains information collected about the public and (2) a system of record. A system of record means a system that serves as an original source of data within an agency. Stated plainly, SB 272 requires local agencies to create a catalog of multi-departmental systems or systems containing information about the public that store original records and post the catalog on their agency website.
Which Systems Are Excluded
Enterprise systems do not include cyber security systems, infrastructure and mechanical control systems, or information that would reveal vulnerabilities to, or otherwise increase the potential for an attack on, a public agency's IT system. Additionally, section 6270.5 does not automatically require disclosure of the specific records that the IT systems collect, store, exchange or analyze, however, the Act's other provisions pertaining to disclosure of such records still apply.
The overall goals of the Information Technology Department are as follows:
- Information Integrity - It is the intention of the department to provide for 100% integrity of the County's information on the network level from any loss or corruption.
- Customer Service - The objective of the department is to provide excellent customer service. We have established and are constantly evaluating and enhancing Customer Service Core Values in order to strive to provide a service level that exceeds our customer's expectation.
- Excellence - The IT Department is committed to performing all tasks with excellence.
- Professionalism - The ambition of all staff in the department is to relate to employees in our department and in the various departments of the County with the highest standards of professionalism. This includes treating other people with courtesy, respect and honesty, as well as doing our work in a timely and proficient manner.
- Technology - The goal of the department is to provide County offices with modern and efficient technical resources to "advance their delivery of cost-effective and innovative public services."