What is the Prevention First Program?
The Madera County Public Health Department (MCPHD) and three other county health departments - Alameda, Monterey and Sacramento- were selected by the California Department of Public Health to provide training, technical assistance, and coordination to local health providers who are committed to deliver high quality, evidence-based and effective health care services to adults with diabetes and high blood pressure.
Over the next three years, MCPHD will partner with local health providers to improve our health systems and develop better community-clinical linkages. Project activities will include Training, Technical Assistance, Workgroups and Learning Action Networks in four areas:
- Electronic Health Records (EHR): Increase the adoption and the use of technology to improve performance. Increase the monitoring of quality measures
- Diabetes Self Management Education (DSME): Increase the use of DSME programs in community settings and Increase access, referral and reimbursement of DSME programs
- Community Health Workers (CHWs): Increase engagement of CHWs in the provision of self-management programs for adults with diabetes. Improve the linkages between health systems and community resources for adults with high blood pressure.
- Team-Based Care: Increase engagement of non-physician team members in hypertension and diabetes management.
Goals of the Prevention First Program (PFP)
The long-term outcomes of the Prevention First initiative are for improved prevention and control of:
- Overweight and obesity
What PFP can do for you?
- Connect you to diabetes resources
- Connect you to locations of free blood pressure machines
- Link you to a Community Health Worker
- Link you to Medi-cal insurance info
- Link you with diabetes and/or high blood pressure specialists in Madera
- If you are a provider who works with patients with diabetes or high blood pressure contact us, to learn how Prevention First can benefit your practice
- Health on Wheels can conduct a community event at your work and/or school
- Free blood pressure checks, blood sugar, and BMI
Current Community Projects
Prevention First Pilot Sites selected (see Links section)
PFP is currently working to establish a community
diabetes education classes with pilot sites using
the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services
approved-Project Dulce Model Vision y
Compromiso will provide training
opportunities for community
members to be involved
with diabetes classes.
In the News
- Madera Co. Combats Type 2 Diabetes Through Project Dulce
- UCLA study finds that half of Maderans have prediabetes or diabetes
- Diabetes Ups Risk of Heart Attack Death
- How to keep your blood pressure under control
Links to Resources
- Madera Co. Type 2 Diabetes Mgmt. Resources 2018
- 2018 Lista de Recursos de Diabetes Tipo 2 Para el Condado de Madera
- California Department of Public Health
- Improvement in Diabetes Care of Underinsured Patients Enrolled in Project Dulce
- What is an electronic health record (EHR)?
Prevention First Links
Public Health Program Manager