As the Local Lead Agency, the goal of Madera County Tobacco Control Program is to to keep all Maderans healthy through a reduction of tobacco use and exposure.
The program is represented by the Madera County Tobacco Coalition, which meets on a quarterly basis and discusses health issues related to tobacco use and exposure, as well as the latest information on tobacco prevention. The coalition is open to all members of the community who share the same concern. For more information call (559) 675-7893, extension 516.
Program priorities include:
- Reduce exposure to environmental tobacco smoke
- Reduce youth access to tobacco products
- Counter pro-tobacco influences
- Reforming the retail environment
- Reducing secondhand and third hand smoke
Current Initiatives include:
- Restricting the sale of flavored tobacco product within youth sensitive areas (elementary schools, parks, youth centers)
- Development of a Tobacco Youth Coalition
- Modification of city and county ordinances using updated definitions for tobacco related products
- Develop policy efforts that establish smoke free parks
The Healthy Stores for a Healthy Community campaign is a statewide collaboration between tobacco and alcohol use prevention, sexually transmitted disease prevention, and nutrition partners. The goal is to improve the health of Californians through changes in community stores and to educate people on how in-store product marketing influences the consumption of unhealthy products. Working together, we can make healthier communities while maintaining vibrant businesses.
To see the latest Healthy Stores for Healthy Communities results for Madera County please go to: healthystoreshealthycommunity.com/counties/madera.
As the primary Tobacco Control Agency in Madera County, we are responsible for the coordination of information, outreach, media and educational activities within our jurisdiction.
Resources to Quit Smoking
California Smokers’ Helpline
- English: 1-800-NO-BUTTS (1-800-662-8887)
- Spanish: 1-800-45-NO-FUME (1-800-456-6386)
- Tobacco Chewers: 1-800-844-CHEW (1-800-844-2439)
Central Valley Tobacco Prevention Team