Stay up-to-date with the latest information about COVID-19 in Madera County  Public Health COVID-19 and County Services and Board Meeting Participation

Vital Statistics

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Vital Statistics Section of the Department of Public Health provides the following services:

  • Issues certified copies of birth and death events that have occurred in the last 12 months
  • Authorizes burial permits
  • Registers births and deaths
  • Registers out-of-hospital births
  • Acts as a liaison between the public and the State of California Office of Vital Records
  • Compiles data relating to births and deaths
  • Compiles data on infectious diseases reported in Madera County
  • Provides statistical information upon request
  • Open to the public Mon-Fri, 8:00AM-12:00PM, and 1:00PM-5:00PM (Closed for lunch 12-1PM)

Certified Copies of both Birth and Death Certificates

Certified copies of birth and death certificates are only available for Madera County events. Copies of birth and death events that occur outside Madera County must be obtained from the county of occurrence or the California State  Department of Health Services, Office of Vital Records, MS 5103, P.O. Box 997410, Sacramento, CA, 95899-7410, (916) 445-2684 or by clicking here.  Any event older than 12 months must be obtained from the Madera County Recorder's Office, 200 West 4th Street, Madera, CA 93637-3548, (559) 675-7724. The State of California has raised fees for these documents as of January 1, 2014:

  • Births: $25.00
  • Deaths: $21.00

Copies can be obtained by direct request in person at Public Health or by mail. All requests are filled on a fee for service basis.  Payment can be made by cash, check, credit/debit cards or money order (please do not send cash in the mail). Requests made in person are filled immediately. Requests by mail will be filled the same week the request is received. Send requests to: Madera County Department of Public Health, Attn: Vital Stats, 1604 Sunrise Avenue, Madera, CA., 93638. California law governing who may acquire certified copies of vital events changed as of July 1, 2003. Only qualified persons may receive regular certified copies that are valid for all legal purposes of identification. Those who do not qualify as authorized persons under California Health and Safety Code, Section 103526, may receive a certified copy marked "Informational, Not A Valid Document To Establish Identity."

To pick up copies in person, the applicant must sign the application in the presence of Public Health Staff.  If the application is being mailed, applicant signature must be notarized.

For more information call (559) 675-7893 or 1-800-427-6897.

Burial Permits

Burial permits are issued by Madera County Department of Public Health and are required before any disposition of human remains can take place. Disposition authorizations include:

  • Burial
  • Cremation/Burial
  • Cremation/Placement of urn at a private residence
  • Cremation/Scattering at sea
  • Cremation/Scattering on private property
  • Scientific Use
  • Disinterment and re-interment with a different disposition
  • Ship out of California
  • Ship in to California

Most of the time, dispositions are decided upon, authorized, and finalized at the time of death when a death certificate is filed with the Department of Public Health. In some cases, however, circumstances arise after the initial documentation has been processed that requires a change in the original disposition. Changes can be authorized at the Department of Public Health by the responsible family member presenting a copy of the original burial permit, or if that document is unavailable, a certified copy of the death certificate. There is a $12.00 charge for issuing burial permits and no appointment is necessary within normal business hours.

For more information or instructions concerning your particular situation, please call the Vital Statistics section of the Madera County Department of Public Health at (559) 675-7893 or 1-800-427-6897.

Registering Out-of-Hospital Births

Births that occur outside recognized birthing facilities must be registered by the parents at the Health Department. This can be done locally within the first year after the child’s birth. If the one-year limit has been exceeded, the birth will have to be registered with the State Office of Vital Statistics using a Delayed Certificate of Birth. If documentation required by the State of California to prove the facts of birth is not in existence, the parents will have to petition the courts to register the birth. Registering a birth locally also requires certain documentation to prove the facts of birth.

You can call the Department of Public Health to have an informational packet mailed to you by phoning (559) 675-7893 or 1-800-427-6897.

The Madera County Department of Public Health as a Liaison Between the Public and State

When you have questions about how to accomplish certain tasks that concern the State Office of Vital Statistics, your local Vital Statistics Office can help. This can include changing incorrect information on birth and death certificates, how to obtain state services, and understanding laws and regulations governing these legal documents. Correcting information on birth and death certificates requires the completion of an Affidavit to Amend a Record. There is no cost to submit one of these documents within one year after the event. If an affidavit is submitted after one year, there is a $20.00 fee that includes a certified copy that will be mailed to you upon acceptance of the affidavit by the State of California. The local office maintains all the forms that you might need to accomplish changes and corrections. We can also refer you to the appropriate state entities when you have a complaint about services you have received from cemeteries, funeral homes, and related businesses.

For more information call (559) 675-7893 or 1-800-427-6897.

Provides Statistical Information Upon Request

The Madera County Department of Public Health compiles statistics of many kinds related to local health issues. Births, deaths, and infectious diseases reported in Madera County are some of the statistics that are routinely compiled from year to year. Requests for data, purpose and plan for dissemination should be made in writing and four weeks allowed for delivery or comment. Always include a telephone number where you can be reached as specific information is often required to complete a request. Other government resources for health data include California Department of Health Services,, and The U.S. Bureau of Census,

All requests for local statistics should be sent to:

Madera County Department of Public Health
Attn: Office of Program Policy and Planning - Vital Statistics
1604 Sunrise Avenue
Madera, CA 93638
Tel. 559-675-7893
Fax 559-675-0478

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer