General Assistance (GA) is a 100% county-funded program that provides temporary cash aid to eligible indigent individuals who are ineligible for federal or state public assistance programs. Benefits are issued via Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card.
Individuals determined to be employable will only be eligible for aid for 90 days in a 12-month period. This rule will apply whether aid was paid for 3 continuous months, or if there was a break in aid between months in a 12-month period.
In addition to cash aid, the county, through the GA Program, provides for the cremation of deceased indigents.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
• Applicant must be at least 18 years of age or an emancipated minor
• Applicant must currently live in Madera County for a minimum of 15 days and intend to remain in the county
• Applicant must be a US citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR)
• Applicant must be unemployed, employed with income less than established grant levels, or unable to work because of a physical, mental or functional disability
• Monthly housing costs must not exceed applicable GA grant
Employable applicants are individuals who are able to work but are not currently working, or are working but earning less than the GA income limits.
Employable applicants must:
• Register for work with the Employment Development Department;
• Conduct job search; and
• Accept any offers of employment, job training or work training assignments.
Applying for General Assistance
All GA Applicants must apply in person at our Madera, Chowchilla, or Oakhurst location.
• Social Security Number
• Proof of Citizenship or Immigration Status
• Proof of Income
• Proof of housing costs/expenses