Stay up-to-date with the latest information about COVID-19 in Madera County  Public Health COVID-19 and County Services and Board Meeting Participation

Veteran Driver's License


Veteran Driver License and ID Available




An individual may be eligible if they meet both of the requirements listed below.

  • Served on active duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard and

  • Received an Honorable or General discharge (under honorable conditions)

If an individual received an Other Than Honorable, Bad Conduct, or Dishonorable character of discharge,they are not eligible for a veteran designation on their California Driver License or California Identification Card. If they have an uncharacterized or unknown discharge status, the CVSO will verify eligibility before approving the application.

Applicable required documentation for proof of service includes:

  • Active Duty – DD214

  • Reserves – Forms DD 256 or DD 257

  • National Guard – Form NGB 22.

2 -Take your documentation with an honorable or General discharge (under honorable conditions) and government identification to your nearest CVSO to obtain your Veteran Status Verification form (VSD-001). DO NOT go to the Veterans Affairs, VA Regional Office, or the California Department of Veteran Affairs (CalVet) as they DO NOT provide the verification form. Only your County Veteran Service Office can do this.

3 -Go online or call the DMV for an appointment. Then bring your Veteran Status Verification form to the DMV. Complete your Application, pay any fees including the $5 fee to add the Veteran designation. NOTE: Tests may be required. To schedule your DMV appointment, visit or call 1-800-777-0133